NOW Canada AG Shelter Client Support Worker
We are seeking a temporary part-time awake overnight Client Support Worker at NOW Canada Society’s Alexandra Gardner Safe Centre (AGSC) to cover a medical leave. This position is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 11pm to 7am. AG offers low-barrier emergency shelter to women, youth, and children.
Client Support Workers work in accordance with the mission and values of NOW Canada Society reporting to the AG Director of Shelter Services. The Client Support Worker carries out a variety of duties related to the operation of an emergency shelter including accepting referrals based on predetermined criteria, intakes and provide support that meets the needs of the women, youth and children entering the shelter.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support and assist women in transitioning into safe, supportive housing or other community programs and services.
- Performs intakes based on established criteria with referral to Shelter Case Worker and other appropriate resources and or shelters if they are not admitted.
- Sharing information and resources that are available and ensuring the women are comfortable by providing support, supervision, food, clothing, and shelter.
- Provides referrals to community resources including housing supports, health, treatment, legal and financial needs.
- Liaise with other community resources and supports and external agencies as needed.
- Completes and maintains related records including intake and exit documentation, daily case notes, critical incident reports and database entry.
- Performs a variety of duties specific to the operation of an emergency shelter including bed-making, laundry, general clean-up of assigned areas and food prep.
- Knowledge and understanding of the barriers impacting homeless women, youth and children including domestic violence, trauma, substance use and mental health.
- Good understanding of community resources available to support women.
- The ability to assist and support women with a non-judgmental, trauma informed approach.
- The ability to mediate, negotiate and facilitate healthy interactions amongst clients.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and the ability to maintain accurate records.
- The ability to manage crisis intervention.
- The ability to work independently as well as the ability to work collaboratively as a team.
- Minimum diploma in the Social Service field or a combination of relevant work experience and specialized training and certification in mental health, substance use, and trauma.
- Successful completion of a criminal record check.
- Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email resume and cover letter to [email protected]
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.