HOMELESS PREVENTION PROGRAM (HPP)
HPP is a BC Housing initiative aimed at providing people in identified at-risk groups with portable rent supplements to help them access rental housing in the private market. The program assists single women, including those with children in their care, who are:
- Homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless due to crisis or transition;
- Have proven financial need;
- Living in the Kelowna area (Peachland to Lake Country);
- Not currently recieving another rent subsidy.
Identified at-risk groups eligible for HPP support:
- Youth (24 years of age or younger)
- Victims of violence or those that are at-risk of violence
- Those leaving the correctional or hospital system
- Individuals who identify as indigenous
NOW Canada’s Housing Support Coordinator works with clients who are homeless, or at-risk of becoming homeless, to secure and/or maintain safe affordable housing.
For at-risk clients who are seeking housing, services could include:
- Developing a case plan with client;
- Referring client to appropriate housing options;
- Providing client with current rental listings;
- Referring clients to support services or skills training;
- Where appropriate, accompanying clients to view housing or meet with landlords.
For clients who are currently placed as tenants and are at risk of losing their housing, or those who have recently secured new housing, services could include:
- Providing clients with rental supplements when appropriate (see below);
- Mediating between tenant and landlord if necessary;
- Providing follow-up and on-going support to tenants;
- Referring clients to support services or skills training.
One-time or short-term rent supplements can be provided to eligible (see above criteria) at-risk clients who have proven financial need. The supplements can be used for a variety of purposes that would aid a client in securing and/or maintaining housing.
To access an application for a rental supplement click here.
For program questions please contact Serena, Housing Support Coordination: Phone: (250)763-3876 ext. 206 Email: [email protected]
OTHER HOMELESS PREVENTION PROGRAM (HPP) PROVIDERS
Don't match all the criteria for a subsidy from NOW Canada? Try one of the following:
Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)
504 Suthland Ave Kelowna BC. Phone: (250)861-3644
Any applicants 18+
Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society
442 Leon Ave. Kelowna, BC. Phone: (250)763-4905, Email: [email protected]
*Can only access subsidy from one agency at a time*
Not a resident of Kelowna?
Visit https://www.bchousing.org/housing-assistance/homelessness-services/find-homeless-prevention-outreach-worker for a complete list of agencies throughout BC that provide HPP services